excerpt from Fifteen Epigrams in Praise of the Tyrant (c)
1. Twice, three times may fate strike.
Thereafter itís the numb beating the numb.
2. Take heart, Ovid, No sentence is longer than life.
3. Look, life has been constructed this way
to make sure
you wonít ever again yearn for this world.
4. Hades is an even worse place.
There arenít any women there.
7. Before you ask for justice -
make sure that you wonít get it, just by accident.
8. The tyrant inspires small poems.
doesnít understand whatís so special about him.
11. When the tyrant is young, everyone waits
for him to come to his senses.
Old. For him to die.
12. It has been proposed that the stars
should be removed from sight.
No one has been against that.
The proposal has already been accepted.
14. How decisively oneís brief moments
of clear insight
are ameliorated by a good, plausible ideology.
- Paavo Haavikko (b. 1931) Finnish
Back to Favorite Poetry